HDFS >> mail # user >> Re: DFS filesystem used for Standalone and Pseudo-Distributed operation

Re: DFS filesystem used for Standalone and Pseudo-Distributed operation
Hello Glen,

     Pl find my comments embedded below :

1.) The Standalone Operation (http://hadoop.apache.org/**
docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.**html#Local<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.html#Local>),
just to confirm, can run without any DFS filesystem?  (We're not being
asked to run "bin/hadoop namenode -format" for it.)
>>Yes. You don't need HDFS for this.
2.) For Pseudo-Distributed Operation (http://hadoop.apache.org/**
docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.**html#PseudoDistributed<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.html#PseudoDistributed>),
where we are instructed to run "bin/hadoop namenode -format", question: how
do I undo whatever that command does?  I.e., how do I delete that
distributed file system created as well as remove from Hadoop any knowledge
of its prior existence -- do I have to manually delete files with OS
commands (what do I remove?) or is there some type of "bin/hadoop namenode
-delete" command that undoes the "-format" command?
>>You can reformat the NameNode or manually delete the directories holding
the data and the metadata.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Glen Mazza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I'm following the Hadoop 1.1.1 tutorial (http://hadoop.apache.org/**
> docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.**html<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.html>)
> and I have these questions:
>
> 1.) The Standalone Operation (http://hadoop.apache.org/**
> docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.**html#Local<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.html#Local>),
> just to confirm, can run without any DFS filesystem?  (We're not being
> asked to run "bin/hadoop namenode -format" for it.)
>
> 2.) For Pseudo-Distributed Operation (http://hadoop.apache.org/**
> docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.**html#PseudoDistributed<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.1.1/single_node_setup.html#PseudoDistributed>),
> where we are instructed to run "bin/hadoop namenode -format", question: how
> do I undo whatever that command does?  I.e., how do I delete that
> distributed file system created as well as remove from Hadoop any knowledge
> of its prior existence -- do I have to manually delete files with OS
> commands (what do I remove?) or is there some type of "bin/hadoop namenode
> -delete" command that undoes the "-format" command?
>
> Thanks,
> Glen
>
> --
> Glen Mazza
> Talend Community Coders - coders.talend.com
> blog: www.jroller.com/gmazza

+
Vikas Jadhav 2013-01-17, 15:09
+