HBase >> mail # user >> Some Hbase questions

Re: Some Hbase questions
Hi Vivek,
Take a look at the SQL skin for HBase called Phoenix
(https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix). Instead of using the native
HBase client, you use regular JDBC and Phoenix takes care of making the
native HBase calls for you.

We support composite row keys, so you could form your row key like this:
CREATE TABLE TimeSeries (
     host VARCHAR NOT NULL,
     date DATE NOT NULL,
     value1 BIGINT,
     value2 DECIMAL(10,4)
     CONSTRAINT pk PRIMARY KEY (host, date)); // composite row key of
host + date

Then to do aggregate queries, you use our built in AVG, SUM, COUNT, MIN,
MAX:
SELECT AVG(value1), SUM(value2) * 123.45 / 678.9 FROM TimeSeries
WHERE host IN ('host1','host2')
GROUP BY TRUNC(date, 'DAY')  // group into day sized buckets

For debugging, you can use either the terminal command line we bundle:
https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix#command-line
or you can install a SQL client like SQuirrel:
https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix#sql-client
You'll see your integer, date, and decimal types as you'd expect.

We have integration with map/reduce and Pig, so you could use those
tools in conjunction with Phoenix.

We also support TopN queries, select distinct, transparent salting for
when your row key leads with a monotonically increasing value like time,
and our performance
(https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix/wiki/Performance) can't be beat.
See our recent announcement for more detail:
http://phoenix-hbase.blogspot.com/2013/05/announcing-phoenix-12.html

HTH.

Regards,

James