Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page

+
Owen OMalley 2011-06-14, 22:56
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-14, 23:35
+
Steve Loughran 2011-06-15, 09:58
+
Ian Holsman 2011-06-14, 23:38
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-15, 00:16
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-15, 00:48
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-15, 01:15
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-15, 01:45
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-15, 02:46
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-15, 02:51
+
Steve Loughran 2011-06-15, 09:52
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-15, 15:58
+
Steve Loughran 2011-06-17, 11:01
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-17, 18:17
+
Steve Loughran 2011-06-20, 12:43
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-17, 18:12
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-15, 16:23
+
Steve Loughran 2011-06-15, 16:44
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-15, 16:57
+
Rottinghuis, Joep 2011-06-16, 04:24
+
Owen OMalley 2011-06-16, 14:48
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-16, 15:31
+
Steve Loughran 2011-06-15, 09:49
+
Owen OMalley 2011-06-15, 02:45
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-15, 16:40
+
Matthew Foley 2011-06-15, 17:44
+
Matthew Foley 2011-06-15, 18:00
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-16, 01:02
+
Matthew Foley 2011-06-16, 01:17
+
Craig L Russell 2011-06-16, 02:19
+
Ian Holsman 2011-06-16, 02:52
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-16, 04:30
+
Ian Holsman 2011-06-16, 04:47
+
Eric Sammer 2011-06-16, 06:35
+
Steve Loughran 2011-06-16, 11:46
+
Owen OMalley 2011-06-16, 15:02
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-16, 15:41
+
Matthew Foley 2011-06-16, 17:17
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-16, 16:05
+
Matthew Foley 2011-06-16, 17:38
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-16, 18:11
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-06-17, 00:35
+
Lawrence Rosen 2011-06-16, 17:27
+
Ted Dunning 2011-06-15, 18:13
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-06-15, 18:37
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-15, 22:25
+
Chris Douglas 2011-06-15, 22:42
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-15, 23:11
+
Eli Collins 2011-06-15, 01:15
Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 18:15, Eli Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Owen O'Malley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> All,
>>   Steve Loughran has done some great work on defining what can be called Hadoop at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Defining%20Hadoop. After some cleanup from Noirin and Shane, I think we've got a really good base. I'd like a vote to approve the content (at the current revision 12) and put the content on our web site.
>>
>> Clearly, I'm +1.
>>
>> -- Owen
>
> I'd like to make another suggestion. Currently we call two types of
> things powered by Apache Hadoop:
>
> 1. Something that runs on Hadoop (eg HBase or Karmasphere)

To be completely precise Karmasphere doesn't 'run on Hadoop'. Their
products "integrate with a variety of Hadoop distributions and related
technologies..." as you can see here
http://karmasphere.com/Miscellaneous/overview.html. Although in case
of HBase you right ;)

Cos

> 2. Something that includes Hadoop artifacts/source code
>
> Shouldn't we distinguish between these two, such that the 2nd is not
> powered by Hadoop? Eg tc server is not powered by Apache Tomcat right?
>
> Apologies for having discussion on a vote thread but this is the first
> time I've seen the current revision and it seems reasonable to have an
> opportunity to discuss a specific revision before voting on it.
>
> Thanks,
> Eli

+
Chris Douglas 2011-06-15, 02:16