Accumulo >> mail # dev >> open questions on contrib projects

Re: open questions on contrib projects
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Sean Busbey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have two questions about contrib projects, one of which I think requires
> a vote.
>
> 1) Are contributors to contrib repos treated the same as contributors ot
> the main project?
>
> I would guess they are, since the contrib repos are still under the
> Accumulo project. I'd like to make sure Lazy Consensus agrees.
>
> 2) What is the process for adding a new contrib repo?

Its not defined.  Was there a specific reason that you would like to have
this defined?   After we release 1.6.0, I am interested in pursuing making
Accismus[1] an Accumulo subproject.   A subproject involves more than just
putting code in contrib.  A subproject can have its own ticket space in
jira and mailing list.  I am not sure what happens w/ committers and PMC, I
will look into what other Apache subprojects do.  I am interested in
getting process in place for this.  I suppose a first step is voting on a
bylaw, similar to what you suggested, that outlines the process for
creating a subproject.
[1]https://github.com/keith-turner/Accismus