HBase, mail # dev - DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?

+
Stack 2012-09-14, 19:17
Re: DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?
Todd Lipcon 2012-09-14, 20:15
I like the idea of lieutenants, but another option would be a
"multi-lieutenant" model.

The model used at google is that each directory has a file called
"OWNERS" which lists several usernames, one per line.

For any given patch, you are expected to get a review such that, for
each modified file, one of the OWNERS listed in that directory (or any
parent thereof) has +1ed.

So, for example, imagine that hbase/OWNERS has only Stack, and
hbase/foo/component1/OWNERS has "jxiang,larsh". If I make a patch
which touches something in foo/component1/bar/, I'd need a review from
at least one of Jimmy, Lars, or Stack.

The assumption is that you try to get review from the most specific
owner, but if those people are MIA, you get review from someone higher
up the stack. The multi-person-per-dir model also ensures that, if
someone's on vacation or otherwise busy, we don't get blocked. And it
formalizes in the actual source tree who you should probably email if
you have questions about an area.

It also means that wide-ranging patches that touch multiple components
need a lot of reviewers (or someone higher up the chain of command who
has "permission" on the whole tree). So if I had a mondo patch that
touched the region server, the master, and the IPC layer, I'd probably
need at least three separate people to sign off.

Whatever we do, rather than making it a strict policy, let's start out
with a soft touch. Perhaps declare the component maintainers and try
to pick reviewers based on the criteria. But if people are busy and
work needs to get done, we don't need to be anal about it :)

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera
+
lars hofhansl 2012-09-15, 04:15
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-09-17, 21:12
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-09-17, 22:08
+
lars hofhansl 2012-09-17, 23:13
+
Ted Yu 2012-09-18, 04:05
+
Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan 2012-09-18, 04:22
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2012-09-17, 22:08
+
Stack 2012-09-18, 04:00