HBase >> mail # user >> Lucene instead of HFiles?

Re: Lucene instead of HFiles?
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:36 AM, Adrien Mogenet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Don't bother trying this in production" ;-)
>
> 1. Are you sure lookup by key are faster ?

No clue.  But I also didn't say it's faster, just fast. :)

> 2. Updating Lucene files in a lock-free maneer and ensuring good
> concurrency can be a bit tricky

AFAIK Lucene files are immutable.  Updates are delete and add.
Deletes are flags like tombstone markers in HBase.

> 3. AFAIK, Lucene files don't fit in HDFS and thus another distributed
> storage is required. Katta does not look as powerful as Hadoop.

Katta and Hadoop are two different tools, though.  From what I recall,
Katta simply used HDFS for storing indices, but would push them
elsewhere for searching purposes.

Otis