Hive >> mail # user >> HIVE issues when using large number of partitions

+
Suresh Krishnappa 2013-03-07, 14:31
+
Ramki Palle 2013-03-09, 16:49
Re: HIVE issues when using large number of partitions
2) Getting 'out of memory' java exception while adding partitions > 50000
3) Sometimes getting 'out of memory' java exception for select queries for
partitions > 10000

So hive/hadoop have to "plan" the job. Planning involves building all the
partitions into a list (in memory) of the client. It also involves hadoop
jobtracker calculating all the split information. With two many partitions
you push the limits of your client and the job tracker, which can not be
distributed. You can up your client heap and job tracker memory to a point,
but this is more of an anti-pattern.

Do not plan on having must success with a task spanning 20K + partitions.