Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Consistency in zookeeper

+
Yasin 2013-02-28, 23:35
+
Alexander Shraer 2013-02-28, 23:49
+
Rakesh R 2013-03-01, 05:32
+
kishore g 2013-03-01, 17:49
+
Alexander Shraer 2013-03-01, 18:19
Re: Consistency in zookeeper
Let me add a couple points to this thread. Yasin didn't ask about a concrete use case, it sounds more like an exploration question rather than a question about how to solve a particular problem. If there is a use case behind the question, it would be great to hear about it.

One reason we had to serve read requests locally comes from the assumption that zookeeper traffic is dominated by reads. By processing read requests locally, we can increase throughput capacity by adding more servers.

The consistency guarantee that zookeeper provides is not eventual in the sense I'm used to: replicas can diverge but they eventually converge. ZK replica servers don't diverge but they can be arbitrarily behind on the application of updates that have been decided upon. We can control to some extent how far behind a follower can be by changing syncLimit.

-Flavio

+
Yasin 2013-03-01, 20:50
+