HBase >> mail # user >> Does HTable.put() guaranty that data are effectively written?

+
Vincent Barat 2010-08-02, 17:12
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2010-08-02, 17:22
Re: Does HTable.put() guaranty that data are effectively written?
 My issue is not related to an HDFS failure but to a regionserver
process crash (just the hbase process, not the whole machine).
Do you think that it can yet have a relation with this stuff ?

Le 02/08/10 19:22, Jean-Daniel Cryans a �crit :
> HDFS started supporting fsSync in the 0.20-append branch (no release
> yet) and 0.21.0 so data loss is expect in 0.20 (e.g. latest puts
> aren't durable). See Todd's presentation for more background
> information (starts at slide #16):
> http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2010/03/hbase-user-group-9-hbase-and-hdfs/
>
> If you which to use a "durable" hbase, you can use the latest HBase
> 0.89 (available on the website) along with a snapshot of Hadoop's
> 0.20-append branch. Alternatively, you can also use Cloudera's CDH3b2
> which has both (I don't work for them, but it's probably just easier
> to checkout at the moment).
>
> J-D
>
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Vincent Barat<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
>>   Hi,
>>
>> I have a simple Java program that write data into a set of HBase tables
>> using the HTable().put() call and an infinite number of retries (in order to
>> block when HBase fails and restart when it is up again, and thus guaranty
>> that my data are written sooner or later).
>>
>> My cluster is a test cluster of 2 regionservers running HBase 0.20.3.
>>
>> During one (1) regionserver failure, I experienced the following issue: all
>> the data I write are lost, with no exception and no error reported (the call
>> act as if everything was ok).
>>
>> If I shut both regionservers down, I got my exception and errors and my code
>> work fine (it blocks and restarts when hbase is up again).
>>
>> So my question is: is it a known problem ? Isn't HTable().put() supposed to
>> guaranty that the data are correctly written when it returns with no failure
>> ?
>>
>> Regards,

+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2010-08-02, 18:05