HDFS >> mail # user >> Simple Permissions Question

+
Time Less 2011-08-25, 00:25
Re: Simple Permissions Question

On Aug 24, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Time Less wrote:

> I'm at a loss here. Check out my groups and the directory permissions:
>
> [tellis@laxhadoop1-012 ~] :) groups
> tellis hdfs supergroup
> [tellis@laxhadoop1-012 ~] :) hadoop fs -mkdir /tmp/hive-tellis
> mkdir: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied:
> user=tellis, access=WRITE, inode="/tmp":hdfs:supergroup:drwxrwxr-x

> [hdfs@laxhadoop1-012 ~/tmp] :) hadoop fs -chmod 777 /tmp
>
> Then tellis has access to mkdir in /tmp.

This tells me that you likely aren't getting your group information sent to Hadoop.

> I'm really confused. What am I missing?

What version of Hadoop?  Is this a secure version with security on?  If you hop on the NameNode, what are your group settings?  Certain versions only honor group information from the namenode.  This is by design to prevent users lying to Hadoop about their identity.

Also, if I help, do I get some free stuff in LoL? :)
+
sridhar basam 2011-08-25, 14:49