Hadoop, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] Hadoop SSO/Token Server Components

Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop SSO/Token Server Components
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-07-04, 20:09
Leaving JIRAs and design docs aside, my recollection from the f2f lounge
discussion could be summarized as:

------
1* Decouple users-services authentication from (intra) services-services
authentication.

The main motivation for this is to get pluggable authentication and
integrated SSO experience for users.

(we never discussed if this is needed for external-apps talking with Hadoop)

2* We should leave the Hadoop delegation tokens alone

No need to make this pluggable as this is an internal authentication
mechanism after the 'real' authentication happened.

(this is independent from factoring out all classes we currently have into
a common implementation for Hadoop and other projects to use)

3* Being able to replace kerberos with something else for (intra)
services-services authentication.

It was suggested that to support deployments where stock Kerberos may not
be an option (i.e. cloud) we should make sure that UserGroupInformation and
RPC security logic work with a pluggable GSS implementation.

4* Create a common security component ie 'hadoop-security' to be 'the'
security lib for all projects to use.

Create a component/project that would provide the common security pieces
for all projects to use.

------

If we agree with this, after any necessary corrections, I think we could
distill clear goals from it and start from there.

Thanks.

Tucu & Alejandro

Alejandro