Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Code import for Apache Accumulo

+
Josh Elser 2013-10-28, 15:19
+
David Medinets 2013-10-28, 23:28
+
Eric Whyne 2013-10-28, 23:31
+
Christopher 2013-10-29, 00:02
+
Steve Loughran 2013-10-29, 09:52
+
Eric Whyne 2013-10-29, 20:20
+
David Nalley 2013-10-30, 12:22
+
Jim Jagielski 2013-11-04, 20:25
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2013-11-04, 20:26
+
Eric Whyne 2013-11-05, 01:45
Re: Code import for Apache Accumulo

On 11/4/13, 8:45 PM, Eric Whyne wrote:
> I just scanned through the ip-clearance page and came away a bit confused
> after reading this sentence.
> "*This form is not for new projects.* This is for projects and PMCs that
> have already been created and are receiving a code donation into an
> existing codebase."
>
> We've brought raccumulo out of our internal repos and are now hosting it
> publicly here. The plan is for this to be it's new home.
> https://github.com/DataTacticsCorp/raccumulo

Uhh... what? I thought this entire discussion was that you wanted
raccumulo to be a part of Apache Accumulo. If you're planning to host it
on your company's Github page, why are we having this discussion?

> Developer ICLAs are complete and filed with secretary@apache
> Data Tactics CCLA is complete and filed with secretary@apache
>
> A good goal seems to be having the project included as a contrib project
> here:
> http://accumulo.apache.org/contrib.html

Again, I'm confused about your Github comment *and* having it be a
contrib (sub project) to Accumulo.

> Some of my most recent questions:
> Of course, the big question, what is the "apache way" to do that? We want
> to do that, we're learning the process and we have more code we want to
> donate to the community.

"The Apache Way" can be summed up by (taken from
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html):

- collaborative software development
- commercial-friendly standard license
- consistently high quality software
- respectful, honest, technical-based interaction
- faithful implementation of standards
- security as a mandatory feature

You can think of it as guidelines and best practices designed to help
you grow communities around software projects.

> Is it ip-clearance, since it's a large code donation to an apache project?

This is a prerequisite to inclusion into the ASF.

> Is it incubation as a sub-project? If incubation is the right way, would it
> preclude initiating the ip-clearance now?

Incubation would also require IP clearance (as the ASF would still hold
the copyright). Incubation != sub-project, however sub-project sometimes
leads into incubation as their own project (e.g. HBase, Hive, Pig,
ZooKeeper to name a few). This typically depends on how the top-level
project wants to "do business".

> R/
> Eric
>

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (398J) <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Nov 4, 2013, at 12:25 PM, "Jim Jagielski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1

>> ask.

+
Eric Whyne 2013-11-05, 02:37