HBase >> mail # dev >> Performances Tests

+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-03-08, 13:58
Re: Performances Tests
@JM
I agree with you.  Mainly the perf improvement changes needs some
testcases.
But sometimes the scenario on which the perf improvments happens are bit
difficult to generate and we will be able to do in a standalone case only.
 May be overall if we need to get that perf improvment result we need a
real cluster with suitable data.  That is what i have experienced.  Just
telling.

Regards
Ram

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In HBase we already have PerformanceEvaluation which gives us a good
> way to validate that nothing broke HBase speed in the recent updates.
>
> I can see in the JIRAs many improvements coming, like for the lazy
> seeks, the bloom filters, etc. however, there is no tests for those
> improvements.
>
> Will it not be good to ask people to add some new tests in
> PerformanceEvaluation when they are introducing an improvement which
> is not covered there?
>
> We should not touch existing tests because we need to have a way to
> compare the baseline between the different versions, but we can still
> add some new. Like in addition to RandomSeekScanTest we can add
> RandomSeekScanBloomEnabledTest and so on. And even better if we can
> back port those new tests to previous version.
>
> The same way we add a test class when we introduce a new feature,
> should we add a performance test method to test it too?
>
> JM

+
Andrew Purtell 2013-03-09, 03:30
+