HBase >> mail # user >> HBase Types: Explicit Null Support

+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-04-01, 18:00
+
Doug Meil 2013-04-01, 18:41
+
Matt Corgan 2013-04-01, 19:26
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-04-01, 20:32
+
James Taylor 2013-04-01, 23:31
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-04-01, 23:41
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-04-02, 02:26
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-04-02, 03:38
+
Matt Corgan 2013-04-02, 06:17
+
Michel Segel 2013-04-02, 02:40
Re: HBase Types: Explicit Null Support
On 04/01/2013 04:41 PM, Nick Dimiduk wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM, James Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  From the SQL perspective, handling null is important.
>
>  From your perspective, it is critical to support NULLs, even at the expense
> of fixed-width encodings at all or supporting representation of a full
> range of values. That is, you'd rather be able to represent NULL than -2^31?
We've been able to get away with supporting NULL through the absence of
the value rather than restricting the data range. We haven't had any
push back on not allowing a fixed width nullable leading row key column.
Since our variable length DECIMAL supports null and is a superset of the
fixed width numeric types, users have a reasonable alternative.

I'd rather not restrict the range of values, since it doesn't seem like
this would be necessary.

> On 04/01/2013 01:32 PM, Nick Dimiduk wrote:
>>> Thanks for the thoughtful response (and code!).
>>>
>>> I'm thinking I will press forward with a base implementation that does not
>>> support nulls. The idea is to provide an extensible set of interfaces, so
>>> think this will not box us into a corner later. That is, a mirroring
>>> package could be implemented that supports null values and accepts
>>> the relevant trade-offs.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Nick
>>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Matt Corgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>   I spent some time this weekend extracting bits of our serialization code

+
Matt Corgan 2013-04-02, 00:07
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-04-05, 00:34