HDFS >> mail # user >> Things to keep in mind when writing to a db

Things to keep in mind when writing to a db
Hi,
  I am wondering if there is any tutorial to see.
What are the challenges for reading and/or writing to/from database.

Is there a common flavor across all the database.
For example, the dbs start a server on some host : port
Establish connection to that host:port
It can be across proxy?

Which is to say, if I dont want to use Squoop and want to learn a very
basic fragile way to write (and read.. but  mostly write) to  sql table,
what are the steps.?
Or how should I approach this?
Thanks