MapReduce, mail # user - Re: Difference between HDFS_BYTES_READ and the actual size of input files

Re: Difference between HDFS_BYTES_READ and the actual size of input files
Jeff LI 2013-03-07, 16:45
Thanks Jeff, for your suggestions.
I did run another test to study the extra copies you suggested.

First, I forgot to mention in the previous test, there are 256 files for
each dataset.
I ran another test with one change, number of files from 256 to 1024, which
means in the later case one input split per file (given that the block size
is 128MB).  And it turned out that there is no difference or very slight
difference in the HDFS_BYTES_READ.

So I think this confirms your suggestion in some way.  There are probably a
lot "copied twice" going on.

Thanks.

Cheers

Jeff