HDFS >> mail # dev >> Merging the HA branch to trunk - Wednesday, February 29th

+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-02-23, 02:24
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-03-01, 00:00
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-03-01, 00:03
Re: Merging the HA branch to trunk - Wednesday, February 29th
I am +1 on merging this to trunk.

On Feb 29, 2012, at 4:03 PM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> +1 as well.
>
> My latest tests after applying the performance fixes indicate that
> there is no statistically significant performance regression between
> trunk and HA, even in tests designed to stress test the worst case
> code paths. The fixes should be committed today or tomorrow, but don't
> need to hold the merge up.
>
> -Todd
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Aaron T. Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hello HDFS devs,
>>
>> The four JIRAs I mentioned below have all now been committed to the HA
>> branch. We've been running through the test plans posted on HDFS-1623 for
>> the last week.
>>
>> The only thing that's been discovered in the interim on the branch that
>> should perhaps be considered a blocker for the merge is the performance
>> issues Todd identified. I am of the opinion that we should proceed with the
>> merge to trunk anyway, despite the presence of these performance
>> regressions. Todd's done some good work on addressing those, which should
>> be committed in the next few days, so their presence on trunk should be
>> brief.
>>
>> If folks are amenable to the above, I'd like to do the merge to trunk
>> tomorrow, since it's getting a little late in the day today.
>>
>> Since this code change is a merge from a branch, we need three +1s to do
>> it. Clearly I'm +1.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Aaron
>>
>> --
>> Aaron T. Myers
>> Software Engineer, Cloudera
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Aaron T. Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello HDFS devs,
>>>
>>> Work has largely stabilized on the HA-branch in the last few weeks. At
>>> this point the HA NN project is nearly feature-complete for manual
>>> failover. We've been running the full test suite nightly, and all automated
>>> tests have been passing, except for one known test failure which should be
>>> fixed shortly.
>>>
>>> I'd like to begin the process of merging this branch back to HDFS trunk.
>>> There are still several outstanding sub-JIRAs under the HDFS-1623 and
>>> HADOOP-7454 umbrella JIRAs, but most of these are either nice-to-haves or
>>> relate to supporting automatic failover. Once the branch is merged to
>>> trunk, work on these JIRAs can continue there.
>>>
>>> I've identified the following JIRAs which I think should be the only
>>> remaining blockers for merging to trunk:
>>>
>>> HDFS-2904 - Client support for getting delegation tokens in an HA cluster
>>> HDFS-2920 - Fix remaining TODOs in the code from HA. Mostly little cleanup
>>> stuff.
>>> HDFS-2958 - Sweep for remaining proxy construction which doesn't go
>>> through failover path
>>> HDFS-2979 - Balancer should use logical URI for creating failover proxy
>>> (will fix the only current test failure)
>>>
>>> All of these JIRAs should be fixed in the next few days.

> [...]
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2012-03-01, 03:52
+
Tsz Wo Sze 2012-03-01, 22:10
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-03-01, 22:39