Hadoop >> mail # user >> Granting Permissions to HDFS

Re: Granting Permissions to HDFS
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Adarsh Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am listing all the HDFS delails through -fs shell. I know the superuser
> owns the privileges to list files. But know I want to grant all read and
> write privileges to two new users (for e. g  Tom and White ) .

Only these two - or you don't really care about permissions ?

> I read the HDFS Shell User guide that tells about *chmod, chown, chgrp*
> commands.
> But I don't want to change users and groups.
> Can someone Please help me to achieve this or it is possible in HDFS or not.

If I guess right that you want to restrict access to super-user and
two other users alone, but not all users, there's probably no easy way
out other than creating a new group with those two users and giving
that group permissions. HDFS permissions aren't fine-grained like ACLs
which can grant access to specific users irrespective of their group
membership.

Thanks
Hemanth