MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Shuffling over the network for local map data.

Re: Shuffling over the network for local map data.
You can setup the right /etc/hosts to support the loopback. OTOH, saving
disk io would be more important for small clusters with large instances.
Hadoop historically works on large clusters with relatively small
instances, so the issue was not as acute. MAPREDUCE-4049 allows the shuffle
to be pluggable, so you won't have to patch Hadoop framework code itself.

Are you saying that you don't have access to EC2?