Avro >> mail # user >> using get/setMeta() & seek

Re: using get/setMeta() & seek
It sounds like you wish to read files while they're still being
written.  Is that correct?  If so, that's not always reliable, since
entries in the file may be only partially written when you attempt to
read it.  One can handle such errors, back up and re-attempt reading
after the file grows more, but this can become complex.

Rather one might initially create files to a staging directory, then
periodically close and move them to the directory where they are to be
read.  This works well since file renames are atomic in most
filesystems.  If this generates too many small files then a
consolidation job can be run periodically to replace sets of small
files with larger files containing their appended content.

To answer your specific question: you can store arbitrary values in a
file's metadata, but those values must be set before data is written
to the file, since metadata is in the file header.  So it wouldn't
work to store the current end of file in the metadata, if that's what
you were asking.

Doug