HDFS, mail # user - Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster

Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster
Michael Segel 2012-12-22, 16:01
Uhm... not exactly.

Power consumption is only part of it. ;-)
Power consumption by itself is not enough to establish probable cause.
If that were the case, there would be a lot of raids around the Xmas holidays ... ;-)

Now don't ask me how I know this.... ;-P

Having run a rack out of my second bedroom in an apartment for ~8-10 years, I can tell you that yes, its noisy, it does heat the place, and that thanks to Moore's law, I was able to consolidate everything to a single 2 CPU 8 core Xeon box 2+ years ago.

Personally, I'd suggest that if you do take the equipment, that you consider how you plan to dispose of the hardware.  You can't just chuck it in to the trash anymore. (If you still have a Best Buy near you, they do recycle...)  Also think about the power requirements. You need to make sure you have a couple of circuits, some power conditioners, battery backup... etc ...   I was only running 8 nodes.  So YMMV.
On Dec 21, 2012, at 1:37 PM, Lance Norskog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You will also be raided by the DEA- too much power for a residence.
>
> On 12/20/2012 07:56 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> While Ted ignores that the world is going to end before X-Mas, he does hit the crux of the matter head on.
>>
>> If you don't have a place to put it, the cost of setting it up would kill you, not to mention that you can get newer hardware which is better suited for less.
>>
>> Having said that... if you live in the frozen tundra like Montana, or some place like ... er Canada or Siberia... , it may make more sense to use it to heat your home with it.
>> Just think of the side benefits from all that potential additional compute power....  :-P
>>

>> I can say from experience that the sound of a bunch of servers in a home setting is a novel one that is probably unlike anything you have known before.
>>
>> If you haven't experienced that, then taking on these servers could be classified as novelty seeking behavior.

+
Jay 2012-12-22, 20:12
+
Mark Kerzner 2012-12-23, 00:48