MapReduce, mail # user - Re: disk used percentage is not symmetric on datanodes (balancer)

+
Tapas Sarangi 2013-03-19, 01:26
+
Bertrand Dechoux 2013-03-18, 21:43
+
Алексей Бабутин 2013-03-22, 16:05
+
Jamal B 2013-03-24, 20:29
+
see1230 2013-03-25, 03:33
Re: disk used percentage is not symmetric on datanodes (balancer)
Tapas Sarangi 2013-03-24, 20:48

On Mar 24, 2013, at 3:40 PM, Alexey Babutin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> you said that threshold=10.Run mannualy command : hadoop balancer threshold 9.5 ,then 9 and so with 0.5 step.

We are not setting threshold anywhere in our configuration and thus considering the default which I believe is 10.
Why do you suggest such steps need to be tested for balancer ? Please explain.
I guess we had a discussion earlier on this thread and came to the conclusion that the threshold will not help in this situation.
-----
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Tapas Sarangi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, thanks for pointing, but I already know that it is completing the balancing when exiting otherwise it shouldn't exit.
> Your answer doesn't solve the problem I mentioned earlier in my message. 'hdfs' is stalling and hadoop is not writing unless space is cleared up from the cluster even though "df" shows the cluster has about 500 TB of free space.
>
> -------
>

> On Mar 24, 2013, at 1:54 PM, Balaji Narayanan (பாலாஜி நாராயணன்) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  -setBalancerBandwidth <bandwidth in bytes per second>
>>
>> So the value is bytes per second. If it is running and exiting,it means it has completed the balancing.
>>

>> On 24 March 2013 11:32, Tapas Sarangi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Yes, we are running balancer, though a balancer process runs for almost a day or more before exiting and starting over.
>> Current dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec value is set to 2x10^9. I assume that's bytes so about 2 GigaByte/sec. Shouldn't that be reasonable ? If it is in Bits then we have a problem.
>> What's the unit for "dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec" ?
>>
>> -----
>>
>> On Mar 24, 2013, at 1:23 PM, Balaji Narayanan (பாலாஜி நாராயணன்) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you running balancer? If balancer is running and if it is slow, try increasing the balancer bandwidth
>>>

>>> On 24 March 2013 09:21, Tapas Sarangi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the follow up. I don't know whether attachment will pass through this mailing list, but I am attaching a pdf that contains the usage of all live nodes.
>>>
>>> All nodes starting with letter "g" are the ones with smaller storage space where as nodes starting with letter "s" have larger storage space. As you will see, most of the "gXX" nodes are completely full whereas "sXX" nodes have a lot of unused space.
>>>
>>> Recently, we are facing crisis frequently as 'hdfs' goes into a mode where it is not able to write any further even though the total space available in the cluster is about 500 TB. We believe this has something to do with the way it is balancing the nodes, but don't understand the problem yet. May be the attached PDF will help some of you (experts) to see what is going wrong here...
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> ------

+
Alexey Babutin 2013-03-24, 21:46