Bigtop >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop
I am inclined against making Sqoop1 the default version in Bigtop precisely
because of the point Andrew raised. Moreover, we had some good reasons when
we moved to Sqoop2 that resonated with Bigtop's charter of a cutting edge
distribution and helping in the stabilization of Hadoop ecosystem projects.
More details at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-805

As far as adding back Sqoop1 back to Bigtop is concerned, this is a
community led project, so if the community wants it, it will happen:-) The
general sentiment when introducing Sqoop2 was that there wasn't a need for
having 2 versions of Sqoop. From poking around, I think we did the same for
Flume when migrating from Flume OG to Flume NG (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-323).

As far as Sqoop2 being preview releases, one could argue that the Hadoop
releases bigtop bundles are preview as well. In my personal opinion, the
charter of Bigtop, is to be that very cutting edge well tested distribution
that helps in stabilizing them along the way. Personally, I feel like
Sqoop2 being default falls in line with that. Given the above, I would
personally vote for Sqoop2 being present in BOM. And, adding Sqoop1 back in
as non-default Sqoop if there is traction in the community.

I am open to feedback, though. What do others think?

Mark