Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Shell setiter/setscaniter commands

Re: Shell setiter/setscaniter commands
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Billie J Rinaldi <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:51:56 AM, "Jim Klucar" <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Using Java reflection, you could determine what interfaces the
> > iterator
> > implements, and if it implements OptionDescriber, prompt for the
> > options.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to get at is that we can't assume that an iterator
> that doesn't implement OptionDescriber doesn't require options.  We could
> end up configuring an iterator that throws exceptions in the tserver
> because its options aren't set, which seems like a more opaque problem to
> deal with (although I think things are set up so that shouldn't break the
> tserver).
>
> > At the very least, a better error message should be produced,
> > currently it
> > just throws a ClassCastException
>
> Perhaps we could have an error message that tells the user to configure
> the iterator with config instead of setiter when the iterator doesn't
> implement OptionDescriber.
>
> Billie

+1 for the latter. Admittedly, iterator stuff is best left for more
advanced users, but we shouldn't discourage people from trying things out
in the shell.