HBase >> mail # user >> HBase without compactions?

+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-02-19, 03:30
+
Stack 2013-02-19, 06:09
+
Michael Segel 2013-02-19, 06:47
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-19, 07:12
+
lars hofhansl 2013-02-19, 08:12
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-02-22, 01:15
+
Ted Yu 2013-02-19, 04:54
+
Michael Segel 2013-02-19, 05:46
+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-02-19, 05:06
+
Ted Yu 2013-02-19, 05:09
+
Michael Segel 2013-02-19, 04:50
Re: HBase without compactions?
Hi,
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Michael Segel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Take a look at MapR's M7
>
> For Apache based Hadoop and HBase, you will need to evolve HDFS.

What do you mean by evolve HDFS?  You mean HDFS would need to change if
Apache HBase were to become compactionless?

Otis
--
HBASE Performance Monitoring - http://sematext.com/spm/index.html

> On Feb 18, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > It's kind of funny, we run SPM, which includes SPM for HBase (performance
> > monitoring service/tool for HBase essentially) and we currently store all
> > performance metrics in HBase.
> >
> > I see a ton of HBase development activity, which is great, but it just
> > occurred to me that I don't think I recall seeing anything about getting
> > rid of compactions.  Yet, compactions are one thing that I know hurt us
> the
> > most and is one thing that MapR somehow got rid of in their
> implementation.
> >
> > Have there been any discussions,attempts, or thoughts about finding a way
> > to avoid compactions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Otis
> > --