Zookeeper, mail # user - using observers for failover

Re: using observers for failover
Michi Mutsuzaki 2013-09-12, 17:54
Hi Brian,

Currently you cannot convert an observer to a participant without
modifying zoo.cfg and restarting all the servers. With dynamic
reconfiguration (new in 3.5), you can convert  an observer to a
participant without needing to restart the entire cluster.

I think by far the most common way to tolerate 2 node failure is to
deploy a cluster with 5 or more nodes.