HBase >> mail # user >> new to hbase

+
dastagiri.shaik@... 2011-11-04, 06:02
Re: new to hbase
My first suggestion would be to not use HBase. 1 TB isn't that large
for a beefy database server to handle. If you don't want to keep using
Oracle, you could look at MySQL or PostgreSQL.

As for your specific questions:

1) You can't run SQL queries directly over HBase, it's not a RDMS. You
could try using Hive's HBase integration. Hive is a library that
translates SQL-ish queries into MapReduce jobs. I say SQL-ish because
it's not fully SQL compliant. Also, the integration with HBase is
still immature.
2) The best option for moving data between HBase and Oracle is Sqoop.
Sqoop's an Apache (incubating) project for transferring data between
RDBMS and Hadoop. It also includes native support for populating HBase
tables with the exported data.

-Joey

--
Joseph Echeverria