HBase >> mail # user >> is hbase 'checkAndPut' latency significantly higher than simple 'put'?

is hbase 'checkAndPut' latency significantly higher than simple 'put'?
Logically, it seems checkAndPut will take more time. I am interested specifically in load scenarios where we see avg checkandput latency of 15ms (for 17KB per row of data)....will converting the checkAndPut to simple 'PUT ' significantly reduce avg latency.

For 99% of use cases the row key that we write to does not even exist when we do a checkAndPut.

Thanks,
Chinmay