Hadoop >> mail # general >> MR1 next steps

+
Eli Collins 2011-07-25, 18:59
Re: MR1 next steps

On Jul 25, 2011, at 11:59 AM, Eli Collins wrote:
> Note! MR2 supports the current job
> API - users don't need to rewrite their jobs to run on MR2 - this is
> about the MR *implementation* not job compatibility.  Note that the
> move to MR2 will affect some APIs (eg metrics, contrib projects that
> only work against MR1, etc).

Don't forget that this completely breaks operations, as in our entire world is about to get blown apart and it will take us quite a while to recover.

> The current MR1 implementation will of
> course remain supported in the current stable releases.
>
> Rationale: there's a lot of cost but little gain to maintaining three
> MR implementations.

What are the three implementations?  I only see two?
+
Eli Collins 2011-07-25, 22:28
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-07-26, 00:23