Bigtop, mail # user - Terasort/Teragen in smokes

Re: Terasort/Teragen in smokes
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-08-28, 04:02
On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:18PM, Jay Vyas wrote:
> hmm ok. now. Thinking about teragen makes me think of benchmarking..
>
>  In the longer term we could add benchmarking jobs to all the submodules not
>  just mapreduce.  For example there are hi bench and ycsb workloads which
>  might be usable or pulled in as bigtop components ... Iff of course
>  benchmarking is in the cards for bigtop?

It indeed is!

I think doing tera-gen/sort so it can be parameterized will provide a good
basis for future benchmarking (as a bit of reflection: I have did simplistic
yet efficient way of benchmarking HDFS and MR a couple years ago, but my
employer back then has never let it go into the open. Go figure...)

And I have a way of building YCSB against a particular version of Hadoop, so I
guess I will have it packaged as a benchmarking test pretty soon.

Cos