HDFS >> mail # user >> Multiple directories for dfs.name.dir

Multiple directories for dfs.name.dir
Hi,

I was just wondering why do we specify more than one directories for
dfs.name.dir
.

What I understand is dfs.name.dir should be valued to 2 directories one on
the local and the other on the NFS.

 Are we trying to protect the name node from eventualities?  If so, what is
the role of Secondary NameNode ?

I am using apache hadoop-0.20

Regards,
Nagarjuna