Upgrade from 1.10 to 1.11 is irreversible only when parquet metadata cache
file is involved.

I might be wrong, but I thought that if someone is running on 1.10.0, and
he wants to go back to 1.0.0, where the first version of parquet meatadata
cache was introduced, can we guarantee that Drillbit would work correctly?
I'm trying to understand what DRILL-5660 asks for is a new requirement, or
an requirement being there starting from Drill 1.0.0?

Regression failures are normally regarded as release blocker.