Yes, parquet is always better for multiple reasons. With JSON, we have to read the whole file
from a single reader thread and have to parse to read individual columns.
Parquet compresses and encodes data on disk. So, we read much less data from disk.
Drill can read individual columns with in each rowgroup in parallel. Also, we can leverage
features like filter pushdown, partition pruning, metadata cache for better query performance.

Thanks
Padma