I withdraw my suggestion to fix DRILL-5660. Was a big hassle for us to track down the incompatibility the issue internally, but production users probably don’t attempt to use one build of Drill with metadata files created from another. We can worry about the issue later only if a user actually runs into it.

As suggested earlier, let’s just document this obscure case in a release note.

- Paul