From: Sandy Ryza [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 12:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: built hadoop! please help with next steps?

Hi John,

Here's how I deploy/debug Hadoop locally:
To build and tar Hadoop:

  mvn clean package -Pdist -Dtar -DskipTests=true

The tar will be located in the project directory under hadoop-dist/target/.  I untar it into my deploy directory.

I then copy these scripts into the same directory:

hadoop-dev-env.sh:
---
#!/bin/bash
export HADOOP_DEV_HOME=`pwd`
export HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME=${HADOOP_DEV_HOME}
export HADOOP_COMMON_HOME=${HADOOP_DEV_HOME}
export HADOOP_HDFS_HOME=${HADOOP_DEV_HOME}
export YARN_HOME=${HADOOP_DEV_HOME}
export HADOOP_CONF_DIR=${HADOOP_DEV_HOME}/etc/hadoop

hadoop-dev-setup.sh:
---
#!/bin/bash
source ./hadoop-dev-env.sh
bin/hadoop namenode -format

hadoop-dev.sh:
---
source hadoop-dev-env.sh
sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh $1 namenode
sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh $1 datanode
sbin/yarn-daemon.sh $1 resourcemanager
sbin/yarn-daemon.sh $1 nodemanager
sbin/mr-jobhistory-daemon.sh $1 historyserver
sbin/httpfs.sh $1

I copy all the files in <deploy directory>/conf into my conf directory, <deploy directory>/etc/hadoop, and then copy the minimal site configuration into .  The advantage of using a directory that's not the /conf directory is that it won't be overwritten the next time you untar a new build.  Lastly, I copy the minimal site configuration into the conf files.  For the sake of brevity, I won't include the properties in full xml format, but here are the ones I set:

yarn-site.xml:
  yarn.nodemanager.aux-services = mapreduce.shuffle
  yarn.nodemanager.aux-services.mapreduce.shuffle.class = org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ShuffleHandler
  yarn.resourcemanager.scheduler.class = org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.scheduler.fair.FairScheduler
mapred-site.xml:
  mapreduce.framework.name<http://mapreduce.framework.name> = yarn
core-site.xml:
  fs.default.name<http://fs.default.name> = hdfs://localhost:9000
hdfs-site.xml:
  dfs.replication = 1
  dfs.permissions = false

Then, to format HDFS and start our cluster, we can simply do:
./hadoop-dev-setup.sh
./hadoop-dev.sh start
To stop it:
./hadoop-dev.sh stop

Once I have this set up, for quicker iteration, I have some scripts that build submodules (sometimes all of mapreduce, sometimes just the resourcemanager) and copy the updated jars into my setup.

Regarding your last question, are you saying that you were able to load it into Eclipse already, and want tips on the best way to browse within it?  Or that you're trying to get the source loaded into Eclipse?

Hope that helps!
Sandy