Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-15, 18:02
+
Arpit Gupta 2013-05-15, 19:54
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:59
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Karthik Kambatla 2013-05-15, 18:23
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-05-15, 18:32
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Bikas Saha 2013-05-15, 20:16
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:23
+
Amir Sanjar 2013-05-15, 18:14
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:06
+
Nathan Roberts 2013-05-16, 18:28
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-17, 07:06
+
eric baldeschwieler 2013-05-15, 20:20
+
Sandy Ryza 2013-05-15, 20:25
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Eli Collins 2013-05-15, 20:43
+
Zhijie Shen 2013-05-15, 20:47
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 21:21
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-15, 22:27
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:44
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:56
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 22:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:56
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:14
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 21:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-15, 23:17
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-16, 06:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 21:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 22:02
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 22:31
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 22:50
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:47
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:19
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-16, 17:22
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-17, 19:52
Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
The other thread or "vote" or whatever at least served the purpose in fresh
surfacing of concerns. Talk of new features going in to a "beta" on a very
short short timetable is concerning for anyone with experience working on
large software projects. It's not a little ironic that this vote thread,
done in response to sort out the other one predicated on stability
concerns, begins with a laundry list of features and JIRAs to go in. I
think it is usually the case that a beta release receives only bugfixes*
over the alpha that proceeded it. This may just be a lack of consensus on
what "beta" means.

Please set aside discussion on particular features or Hadoop bylaws or
politics or debate club. I can't speak for all of downstream of course, but
to the extent that I can I can say we don't care about that. The core ask,
at least mine, is take a fresh look at reducing per-release disruptions to
the rest of the entire ecosystem that has grown up around Hadoop. Any
change made in Hadoop does not happen in isolation. On that other thread
were good suggestions on more frequent releases, reducing the change scope
per release, adopting merge windows, etc., all with the aim of allowing
downstream the time to sort out integration issues. The other comment on
this thread that suggests ASF governance structures being inadequate for
negotiating changes in a large ecosystem might be on to something, but at
the same time Apache BigTop may be an effective ASF-native answer to that.
Time will tell. It seems the tone of discussions between BigTop and Hadoop
in this thread are better than in the past. I will take further discussion
on volunteering resources to the BigTop lists.

* - I think this would include the great recent work in YARN on API
stability and in MR on restoring some backwards compatibility with MR1, but
perhaps these only meet my personal definition of bugfix, granted.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:41
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:52
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:38
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 07:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-16, 18:18
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:29
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:15
+
Devaraj Das 2013-05-15, 20:39
+
Robert Evans 2013-05-16, 15:19