Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Setting Charset in getBytes() call.

+
David Medinets 2012-10-28, 21:50
+
Ed Kohlwey 2012-10-28, 22:18
+
William Slacum 2012-10-29, 15:39
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 16:00
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-29, 16:21
+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-29, 16:24
+
John Vines 2012-10-29, 16:42
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-29, 16:57
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 17:00
+
William Slacum 2012-10-29, 17:13
+
Mike Drob 2012-10-29, 17:16
+
Michael Flester 2012-10-29, 19:14
+
John Vines 2012-10-29, 19:18
+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-29, 20:02
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 20:29
+
Michael Flester 2012-10-30, 00:27
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-30, 00:46
+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-30, 00:54
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-30, 01:57
+
John Vines 2012-10-30, 02:08
+
David Medinets 2012-10-30, 02:47
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-30, 22:27
Re: Setting Charset in getBytes() call.
> My issue with this is that you have now hard-coded the fact that everyone else is going to use UTF-8.

Who is everyone else? I agree that I have hard-coded the use of UTF-8.
On the other hand, I've merely codified an existing practice. Thus the
issue is now exposed, the places the convention is used are defined.
Once a consensus is reached, we can implement it with confidence.

> way to fix the problem. I still contest that setting the desired encoding
> (via the appropriate JVM property like Bill Slacum initial suggested) is the
> proper way to address the issue.

It is easy to do both. Create a ByteEncodingInitializer (or somesuch)
class that reads the JVM property and defines a globally used Charset.
The find those utf8 definitions and usages and replace them with the
globally-defined value.
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-31, 00:21
+