HBase >> mail # user >> LZO vs GZIP vs NO COMPREESSION: why is GZIP the winner ???

LZO vs GZIP vs NO COMPREESSION: why is GZIP the winner ???
Hello,

I did some testing to figure out which compression algo I should use
for my HBase tables. I thought that LZO was the good candidate, but
it appears that it is the worst one.

I uses one table with 2 families and 10 columns. Each row has a
total of 200 to 400 bytes.

Here is my results:

GZIP: 2600 to 3200 inserts/s 12000 to 15000 reads/s
NO COMPRESSION: 2000 to 2600 inserts/s 4900 to 5020 reads/s
LZO 1600 to 2100 inserts/s 4020 to 4600 reads/s

Do you have an explanation to this ? I though that the LZO
compression was always faster at compression and decompression than
GZIP ?