Avro >> mail # dev >> Re: release 1.7.3 soon?

+
Sean Busbey 2012-11-29, 21:37
+
Doug Cutting 2012-11-29, 21:49
Re: release 1.7.3 soon?
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Doug Cutting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> AVRO-997 would be an incompatible change so we'd have to change the
> release name to 1.8.0 and folks might then reasonably adopt it more
> slowly, since it might break things.  I'd prefer to wait until we have
> other more substantial incompatible changes; to group them together in
> a single incompatible release.

Sure, that sounds reasonable. Mind if I update the ticket to reference this
so that observers know that the strict approach is a go, and that we're
just waiting to aggregate breakage? The ticket currently reads to me like
it's an open topic.
Also, I don't think of AVRO-997 as a bug but rather a lack of error
> checking.  The proposed change is to no longer permit folks to pass a
> java.lang.Enum in generic data, but rather to force them to always use
> GenericEnumSymbol, or switch to using specific or reflect, which allow
> java.lang.Enum for enum symbols.  So if this is causing you problems,
> you can simply change your code to use GenericEnumSymbol now rather
> than wait until 1.8.0 forces you to make that change.
>
> Am I missing something?

That's essentially correct.

-Sean
+