MapReduce, mail # user - Cluster wide atomic operations

+
David Parks 2012-10-27, 03:07
Re: Cluster wide atomic operations
Ted Dunning 2012-10-27, 05:22
This is better asked on the Zookeeper lists.

The first answer is that global atomic operations are a generally bad idea.

The second answer is that if you an batch these operations up then you can
cut the evilness of global atomicity by a substantial factor.

Are you sure you need a global counter?

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM, David Parks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> How can we manage cluster-wide atomic operations? Such as maintaining an
> auto-increment counter.
>
> Does Hadoop provide native support for these kinds of operations?
>
> An in case ultimate answer involves zookeeper, I'd love to work out doing
> this in AWS/EMR.

+
David Parks 2012-10-29, 01:15
+
Ted Dunning 2012-10-29, 05:58
+
David Parks 2012-10-29, 06:54
+
Michael Katzenellenbogen 2012-10-29, 01:33
+
Taeho Kang 2012-10-29, 01:32
+
Steve Loughran 2012-10-29, 10:15