Bigtop >> mail # dev >> Boxgrinder is not actively developed anymore

Re: Boxgrinder is not actively developed anymore
>> Why don't you describe your ideas/code/efforts? They sound great and
would be delighted to learn more about them. The conversation would benefit
a lot from it.

Certainly! So I created some JSON files that roughly follow the same
structure as Boxgrinder YAML. Each one represents a specific set of
functionality, and resides in a directory with any files it will pull into
the appliance. They can list other JSON files as dependencies, and the
python script will merge dictionaries and concatenate arrays (with
descendants overriding ancestors), then write it out to a single YAML file
and a directory of the other files. It's pretty hacky at this point (having
just been a side-project done as-needed), but by generating the manifest
gives a lot of flexibility to add little hacks here and there, and it was
easier to manage multiple appliances than with Boxgrinder's inheritance
alone (I've forgotten the specific shortcomings, but it wasn't sufficient
for my purposes). I've added code to generate the .mozilla/firefox
directory with a list of bookmarks, too.

|---grind.py
|---hdfs
|   |---appliance.json
|   |---hdfs-site.xml

|---hbase (depends on HDFS)
    |---appliance.json
    |---hbase-site.xml

Going forward, I'd like to make it more modular to support different
back-ends (perhaps kickstarter, for Live CDs, etc), and perhaps break down
the JSON files / directories further so that you can define the individual
Bigtop components and combine them however you want into. I'm putting
together a "bigtop" example for my current mechanism and will post it.