Hadoop >> mail # user >> Dealing with changing file format

Dealing with changing file format
I am wondering what's the right way to go about designing reading input and
output where file format may change over period. For instance we might
start with "field1,field2,field3" but at some point we add new field4 in
the input. What's the best way to deal with such scenarios? Keep a catalog
of changes that timestamped?