Hadoop, mail # general - Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release

+
Arun C Murthy 2012-11-16, 06:41
+
lohit 2012-11-16, 20:58
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-11-16, 21:14
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-11-16, 23:34
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-11-16, 23:38
+
Stack 2012-11-17, 05:34
+
Robert Evans 2012-11-19, 16:22
+
Siddharth Seth 2012-11-19, 18:09
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-11-19, 19:08
Re: Heads Up - hadoop-2.0.3 release
Tom White 2012-11-20, 12:41
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Siddharth Seth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> YARN-142/MAPREDUCE-4067 should ideally be fixed before we commit to API
> backward compatibility. Also, from the recent YARN meetup - there seemed to
> be a requirement to change the AM-RM protocol for container requests. In
> this case, I believe it's OK to not have all functionality implemented, as
> long as the protocol itself can represent the requirements.

I agree. Do you think we can make these changes before removing the
'alpha' label, i.e. in 2.0.3? If that's not possible for the container
requests change, then we could mark AMRMProtocol (or related classes)
as @Evolving. Another alternative would be to introduce a new
interface.

> However, as
> Bobby pointed out, given the current adoption by other projects -
> incompatible changes at this point can be problematic and needs to be
> figured out.

We have a mechanism for this already. If something is marked as
@Evolving it can change incompatibly between minor versions - e.g.
2.0.x to 2.1.0. If it is @Stable then it can only change on major
versions, e.g. 2.x.y to 3.0.0. Let's make sure we are happy with the
annotations - and willing to support them at the indicated level -
before we remove the 'alpha' label. Of course, we strive not to change
APIs without a very good reason, but if we do we should do so within
the guidelines so that users know what to expect.

Cheers,
Tom

> Thanks
> - Sid
>

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Robert Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I am OK with removing the alpha assuming that we think that the APIs are
>> stable enough that we are willing to truly start maintaining backwards
>> compatibility on them within 2.X. From what I have seen I think that they
>> are fairly stable and I think there is enough adoption by other projects
>> right now that breaking backwards compatibility would be problematic.
>>
>> --Bobby Evans

>> >I think it fine after two minor releases undoing the '-alpha' suffix.
>> >
>> >If folks insist we next go to '-beta', I'd hope we'd travel all
>> >remaining 22 letters of the greek alphabet before we 2.0.x.
>> >
>> >St.Ack

+
lohit 2012-12-03, 18:02
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-12-04, 14:09
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-12-06, 02:59
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-12-05, 02:03
+
Arun Murthy 2012-12-05, 02:56
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-12-05, 21:26
+
Suresh Srinivas 2012-11-19, 19:39
+
Bikas Saha 2012-11-20, 05:18
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-19, 20:41
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-12-18, 19:45
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-12-19, 04:15
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-12-19, 04:43
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-12-19, 05:00
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-12-19, 05:07
+
Heather Bales 2012-12-19, 16:15
+
Prabakaran Krishnan 2012-12-19, 11:26
+
Steve Loughran 2012-12-19, 14:10
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-16, 14:52
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-01-16, 18:30
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-16, 18:38
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-01-25, 00:35
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-01-28, 23:11
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-01-29, 16:51
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-01-29, 17:21
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-29, 17:51
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-01-31, 05:01
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-01-31, 05:15
+
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-11-17, 00:05
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-11-17, 04:27
+
Robert Evans 2012-11-19, 16:27
+
Mariappan Asokan 2012-11-19, 17:18
+
Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda 2012-11-19, 17:45