Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Patch available backlog

Re: [DISCUSS] Patch available backlog
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Flavio Junqueira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was checking the issues on jira and I realized that we have currently 76 patch available issues. This is a fairly large number and I'd like some help to get that number down. One way is to split issues among the folks willing to review patches. It would be great to have committers signing up to review patches, but we can definitely get contributors helping with the reviews and I actually encourage reviews from contributors as well.

I had been reviewing them at least every month. However with the
recent big patches going in (scalability changes, dynamic
reconfig,...) I held off to not impact/delay those patches. I've been
super busy at home/work but I'll try to find some time, It would be
great if other folks jumped in. They key I've found is to set aside
some time and just focus on crunching through. I'd love to see 3.4.6
and 3.5.0 releases soon. We have some good fixes for 3.5.6, and there
are only a couple of major 3.5.0 issues to go, if we could get
Thawan's "local session" patch and Skye's jetty support in, as well as
a few high priority 3.5 fixes (1324 in particular) I'd love to cut a
beta release candidate for 3.5.

> To split the load, one idea is to set up an hour or two for us to be simultaneously on irc to discuss the split and any contention on issues. But, if this idea doesn't work, I would be very happy to hear alternatives. Ultimately I'm interested in making progress with the patches submitted.

This is a good idea, but I find that just a single person reviewing
the patch is often sufficient. Once you boil things down a bit (I typ.
find that ~30% of the patches are pretty simple and easy to commit)
it's good to have a couple folks focus on the tougher/remaining
issues. Esp if it involves a "feature" level change.

> If you agree with the idea of being on irc, please share some slots that suit you.

I'm almost always on email or im. FF to ping me if you need to discuss
something.

Patrick