HBase >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] The 6th hbase-0.96.0 release candidate is available for download

+
Stack 2013-10-11, 23:20
+
Devaraj Das 2013-10-16, 01:25
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-10-16, 02:14
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-10-17, 21:12
+
Ted Yu 2013-10-17, 21:49
Re: [VOTE] The 6th hbase-0.96.0 release candidate is available for download
I'm -0 this being the first 96 release.

For the good news:
* On a small cluster I've run all of the IT tests with both the calm
chaos monkey and the slow deterministic chaos monkey.  Everything
passed and looked good.  4 tests  of 5 hours each pass consistently.
* Runs of YCSB Reads were better than stock 0.94 (naggles and short
scans were the big wins).
* This works well with Hadoop 2.2.0
* Thanks to the znode watcher our MTTR if a region server crashes is
pretty great.
* Protobuf means our wire compat story is great.
* The client module and the Testing util module mean that for
downstreamers using HBase is easier than ever.
* I see really large jumps in read and write throughput when the
balancer runs so it looks like the new balancer does a good job.
* Tar's are signed and look good
* The jars are in place.

For the Bad news:
* This release won't scale up to large clusters busy cluster.  The
client uses way too many threads.
* Not a single IT test that uses the client from lots of hosts passes
(TestLoadAndVerify or Big Linked List)
* YCSB inserts fail if run from more than one driver node at a time
* YCSB perf is pretty far behind 0.94 until compaction dominate.

For the in-between news:
* Upping the write buffer and lowering the number of async actions
outstanding per server help and can help work around things.  But they
are just work arounds and not everyone can up the write buffer enough
to make this go away.
* This can be fixed without changing anything on the wire so fixing
this in a point release should be possible.
On a larger live serving cluster I can't see this release being
deployed ever.  But I also can't see a short term fix that can be
applied in time for another rc to be cut.

+
Nicolas Liochon 2013-10-18, 21:06
+
Stack 2013-10-17, 21:31