Zookeeper, mail # dev - Tool for interactive fault injection testing

+
Andrei Savu 2012-07-02, 10:15
+
Patrick Hunt 2012-07-02, 16:39
+
Andrei Savu 2012-07-02, 20:14
Re: Tool for interactive fault injection testing
Flavio Junqueira 2012-07-02, 20:21
Sounds like great stuff, Andrei. Do you have a description of the faults you have injected I can access?

-Flavio

On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:14 PM, Andrei Savu wrote:

> I was unable to find any issues so far. It seems like ZooKeeper does a
> great job at
> handling network failures.
>
> This tool is deploying a ZooKeeper cluster on a cloud provider using Whirr
> together
> with Byteman [1]  (attached to the JVM).
>
> Faults are injected by using Byteman rules. See this tutorial:
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/FaultInjectionTestingWithByteman#what_is_fault_injection_testing
>
> I am planning to improve the tool to have the ability o inject arbitrary
> rules through the web UI.
>
> As an workload generator I am using a distributed queue implementation
> that's handling
> ConnectionLoss by retrying to post the message (duplicates are acceptable
> when measuring the latency).
>
> [1] http://www.jboss.org/byteman/
>
> -- Andrei Savu
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Patrick Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Sounds interesting but it's not clear to me from the provided docs
>> what it does and what am I expected to do? (canned tests or a
>> framework for me to use). Have you been able to find any issues using
>> this?
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Andrei Savu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> As part of my MSc. project I have spent some time working on a tool for
>>> fault injection testing for Apache ZooKeeper based on jboss Byteman and
>>> Apache Whirr.
>>>
>>> You can find the code on Github:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/andreisavu/zookeeper-tester
>>>
>>> Do you think this can be an useful addition to contrib? (a version
>> that's a
>>> bit more generic)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -- Andrei Savu / axemblr.com / Tools for Clouds

+
Andrei Savu 2012-07-02, 20:27
+
Flavio Junqueira 2012-07-03, 21:14