Hadoop, mail # general - [DISCUSS] secure 0.20-based branch

Re: [DISCUSS] secure 0.20-based branch
Doug Cutting 2010-04-23, 23:02
Dhruba Borthakur wrote:
> I support Doug's idea whole-heartedly. The question that remains is "who
> gets to test and stabilize this new branch"?

As a starting point, Y!'s distribution includes a patch list at:

http://github.com/yahoo/hadoop-common/commits/yahoo-hadoop-0.20

Cloudera lists its patches in the tarball inside the source rpm:

http://archive.cloudera.com/redhat/cdh/3/SRPMS/hadoop-0.20-0.20.2+228-1.src.rpm

We could perhaps start with the intersection of these and vote on that.
  If there are patches missing from this list that you believe are well
tested and critical to Facebook, then these could be nominated as well.
  We'd require a consensus vote on each patch.

> I am proposing that we
> designate a owner for this branch and it is the onus of the owner of this
> branch to test/stabilize that branch.

I'm happy to call votes on patch lists, merge patches to the branch, run
unit tests and roll release candidates, although I'd love help.  If we
stick to patches and combinations of patches that folks are already
testing elsewhere, then this should be a stable branch.  The first
release on this branch should be declared alpha until its tested in a
variety of environments.  Folks should of course not immediately put
into production any release from this branch (or any other branch)
without some testing of their own.  If folks prefer to continue to use
releases blessed by Y! or Cloudera, then we'd at least make the patch
lists of those releases considerably shorter.  This branch would
simplify sharing of bugfixes even if we don't make releases from it,
since it would already contain the patches common to most production
environments.

Doug