HBase >> mail # dev >> May I ask why HBase choose to partition data by range?

Re: May I ask why HBase choose to partition data by range?
Partitioning by range allows for efficient range scans.  Logically the
ranges act like accessing a sorted list with a indexing hints.

Other systems that by default to hashing will not be able to efficiently
scan though all its data sequentially.  The nice thing with hbase though is
that you can choose to hash your hbase row key and achieve efficient kv
access by effectively converting it into a hash.

Hbase stared life as a google big table inspired system, and took many
design cues from there.

Jon