HBase, mail # user - When should we trigger a major compaction?

Re: When should we trigger a major compaction?
yonghu 2014-02-21, 10:38
Before you want to trigger major compaction, let's first explain why do we
need major compaction. The major compaction will cause
1. delete the data which is masked by tombstone;
2. delete the data which has expired ttl;
3. compact several small hfiles into a single larger one.

I didn't quite understand what do you mean by "use num of storefiles", why
this?