HBase >> mail # user >> When should we trigger a major compaction?

Re: When should we trigger a major compaction?
Before you want to trigger major compaction, let's first explain why do we
need major compaction. The major compaction will cause
1. delete the data which is masked by tombstone;
2. delete the data which has expired ttl;
3. compact several small hfiles into a single larger one.

I didn't quite understand what do you mean by "use num of storefiles", why
this?