HBase >> mail # dev >> Regressions on upgrading from 0.94 to 0.96

+
Ishan Chhabra 2014-03-24, 04:34
+
Stack 2014-03-24, 18:13
Re: Regressions on upgrading from 0.94 to 0.96
Yeah. Sorry. That's not good. I usually make sure that does not happen, but I missed that one.

I don't know what to do about issues like this. The RM's can't possibly watch all issues. Another area where I find this a lot is with bug fixes that are committed to 0.96 or 0.98 and later, but the committer forgets about 0.94. I try to catch all these things, but some will slip.

So here's a renewed call to all committers (including myself):
- There should never be a feature gap (i.e. a feature in 0.94, not in 0.96, but then again 0.98). All committers should check for that.
- Bugfixes should always be considered as to whether they'd useful for earlier releases. Unless the area of code is new the likely answer is yes.
________________________________
 From: Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: HBase Dev List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2014 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: Regressions on upgrading from 0.94 to 0.96

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Ishan Chhabra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

We try to avoid having older versions have features that are then missing
from later versions.  The commit to 0.94 is done w/o comment/justification
in the issue.  Maybe a discussion was held elsewhere and not cited.

Hopefully none Ishan.  It is a but in our process if there is.
St.Ack

+
Stack 2014-03-24, 19:42
+